Wednesday, May 17, 2006

BECOMING GREAT

Upon returning to my office and going through all my mail, I discovered that an unwrapped book had been put in my box. When I read the title, Good to Great, I almost tossed it because it seemed like one of those free self-help books that I sometimes receive. The author is Jim Collins and the cover says 2 million copies have been sold. It is one of those best-seller business books. I discovered my Dean is encouraging his department chairs to read it. Some others have read it, but I am not sure it is one of those required readings for all administrators. I would probably have never even picked it up, but I took it home to do a quick read these last few days.

It turned out to be a fascinating book. The author analyzed why some corporations have moved from being "good" to becoming "great." However, I thought beyond corporations--why do some universities move beyond average to become great? Why do some churches become great and others shut their doors? Why do some individuals move beyond mediocrity to become great? So while it was a business book, it offers a lot to think about beyond the corporation. I am inclined to think that the ideas introduced should be discussed by any institution or individual seeking excellence.

Some ideas from the book:

People are not your most important asset. The right people are.

Good to great leaders are: self-effacing, quiet, reserved, even shy--these leaders are a paradoxical blend of personal humility and professional will.

We found no systematic pattern linking executive compensation to the process of going from good to great.

A great executive said: his best hiring decisions often came from people with no industry or business experience.

Great corporations have rigorous cultures, not ruthless cultures.

Put your best people on your biggest opportunities, not your biggest problems.

Great management teams consist of people who debate vigorously. . .

Leadership must create a climate where truth is heard.

The purpose of bureaucracy is to compensate for incompetence and lack of discipline. . . .

Great executives are less interested in flashy programs that make it look like they are Leading!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I especially like that last one.