Friday, August 04, 2006

SENATOR LIEBERMAN

I have casually watched Ned Lamont's liberal, anti-war challenge of Senator Joe Lieberman (D, Connecticut). As a qualifier to all that I say, I probably have disagreed more with Senator Lieberman over the years than I have agreed with him. However, I have always had the sense that he is an honorable man and willing to speak more honestly about his positions than most politicians irrespective of party affiliation and ideological commitment.

A blogger of the liberal anti-war left in the Democrat Party has recently painted Senator Lieberman with a black face. I can't say that the African-American community rose up against this stereotyping from all that I read. Maybe it is not considered as terrible as Governor Mitt Romney's (R, Massachusetts) use of the word "tarbaby."

I just stumbled across some other pictures posted on a liberal blog that are really distasteful to me (some examples). Something has happened to the Democrat left over the last decade or two and it has not been good. Liberals used to pride themselves on dealing with issues in a less infantile way than the radical right. However, if this is the trend in the Democrat left, they will make Republican right-wingers look sensible and even moderate. Is this how Democrats should be treating an elder statesman of the party? I think not.

No comments: