Wednesday, June 08, 2005

FUNDAMENTALIST CATHOLIC

I was walking to lunch yesterday at U. of N. when a fellow I know who teaches at a small Roman Catholic college came up to me and said he got really burned at breakfast by some "feminists." I guess he could be described as a "conservative" Catholic, but I think he would see himself as just a devout, sincere Roman Catholic. I asked him what happened.

He sat down at breakfast with two women who were ragging on Pope John Paul and Pope Benedict XVI as being too conservative, etc. Naturally he jumped in to defend both popes or to give some perspective--I am not sure which. Since he wasn't getting too far in this discussion, he said something to the effect, "Well Christ said. . . .." Immediately they responded, "We don't care what Christ said." At that point he shut up and told me that if they won't accept what Christ said, there is no way he could talk to them. I told him they probably thought he was some crazy fundamentalist who was reading too much Dobson.

1 comment:

Sharpton: The Knight's Disciple said...

Well, he has a point.