Thursday, January 12, 2006

ARRIVAL IN VIENNA

January 6: Well, Mary and I finally made it to DFW loaded down with more luggage than I thought we could handle, but I wanted to take a number of books for the International University’s library. As a result of the books I wanted to fly as directly as we could to Vienna. Some tickets called for a departure from DFW and then go through Frankfurt or London (or both) before arriving in Wien. I figured we would be tired enough without having all these transfers. As a result I chose a United flight to Dulles with a connection to Austrian Air straight into Wien. I have a lot of misgivings about United for assorted experiences other friends have had, but this seemed ideal. For the first time in my life I paid overweight charges and we took off.

Since it was a small jet, and very crowded, I had to check one carry-on at the gate. When we landed I actually got my carry-on back! However, United could in DFW not get us seats on Austrian Air, presumably because we didn’t have a visa, but we really didn’t need a visa since we weren’t going to be in Austria the full 3 months—presumably this would be worked out at Austrian Air. However, at Dulles there was a very long line at Austrian Air as many others evidently had not been given seats. It was also overbooked and there were a number of irate people. I expected to be delayed, but they took our tickets and said they would call our names when they were finished seating many of those ahead of us. Then they offered a $600 travel voucher, some cash, and a hotel and 3 meals to those who would give up their seats and travel the next day. (I had the sense Austrian Air does this a lot). I was tempted, but someone was waiting to pick us up in Wien. It sure beats the wimpy $200 voucher on American Eagle.

Almost everyone was on board and our names had not been called so I went up to the desk. Somehow our tickets had been put to the side in the hectic seating situation. So they put us in Business Class. As a poor university professor, I had never traveled this way, especially across the Atlantic. I now realize the reasons for the French Revolution. Food was not served in trays, but on China. The steward dished the food individually. It was like a 5 star restaurant—well, maybe 4 star. The legroom was fantastic and I could lie back like I was in a recliner. You also got this little bag with booties to wear so you could take your shoes off, a sleeping mask, and a variety of cosmetic goodies.

No comments: