Sunday, January 22, 2006

VIENNA, January 20

Walked to Schönbrunn Palace. The amount of graffiti on buildings continues to amaze me. Also the presence of Middle Easterners is clear. We walked by a number of middle eastern restaurants and saw a number of women and girls with their headcoverings. At Schönbrunn we needed to use the restrooms. Finding clean ones is sometimes a challenge and when you do, you have to pay—but it is worth paying because they are so clean. I have this from an excellent informant, but in the ladies room they have a toilet with a toilet seat that swivels back through a cleaning solution so that it comes out disinfected for the next person. Where have American engineers been? I am sure there is room for a senior-design project somewhere in all of this. Of course, I am not sure what would happen if the occupant somehow moved and the toilet seat started to swivel. I can only imagine what the next step in this technology will be. While I was waiting for this miracle of technology to allow my better-half to come out (maybe I should have her take the camera next time so a similar contrivance could be installed in Heath-Hardwick Hall), I had an interesting talk with the Austrian man responsible for taking the money and keeping it clean about the use of pronouns in the German language. Obviously as soon as I open my mouth, people know I am not a native German-speaker, but I try. In the stores I try to be friendly (people here tend not to be). Some will respond in English and I tell them they speak English very well and try to continue in German. But I am not ready to have a discussion on the metaphysics of Karl Marx. However, while I was purchasing tickets in the underground, I did have a German or Swiss older woman come up to me and ask directions. I had to tell her I was an Auslander and did not know. Did some grocery shopping for the weekend. Bought a piece of Maronischnitte for tonight’s desert. It was a chesnut-flavored desert: on top of a thin slice of delicately flavored chocolate cake there was about an inch of whipped cream (somewhat firm) topped by another thin-layer of whitish cake topped by some more whipped cream which was flavored (Watson-style) and had finely granulated nuts sprinkled on it (this is the best I can do). I did wonder whether I should try to have a different Viennese dessert each day while I am here, but I don’t think 4 months is enough time to sample everything. For dinner stopped at a kiosk and got two Dürüm—paprika seasoned chopped chicken (can’t figure out the other spices) put in a big tortilla with lettuce, onions, tomato, and a kind of yoghurt sauce. It was very tasty (geschmeckt). I will put on Mozart’s Don Giovanni and get to work.

No comments: