Tuesday, May 27, 2008

DEMOCRATS IN CONGRESS

I have to admit that I have not followed all of the nuances of the following two issues, but recent Democrat decisions seem to be really shortsighted.

1. The Democrat Congress passed a huge increase in subsidies for farmers in the recent farm bill. I have never been fond of this rural welfare no matter who sponsors it, because most of it does not even go to the small independent farmer but rather what I would call "agribusinesses." But why do we need this kind of farm bill today when prices for agricultural commodities have reached new heights?

2. Recently oil company executives were hauled before Congress and the Democrats were accusing them of all kinds of nasty things, especially price-gouging and making huge profits. I am no defender of Big Oil--these guys are hard to like, but I think there are other forces at work here. The June 2, 2008 issue of Forbes notes that in 2007 (a record year) the oil industy earned 8.3 cents per dollar of sales; beverage companies and cigarette companies , by contrast, earned 19.1 cents, drugmakers, 18.4 cents. Why aren't the Democrats going after these industries for price-gouging? 2007 is not 2008, but next January we can see if the oil industry has caught up with the other industries.

3. The Democrats and Obama are supporting a veteran's bill that gives the same perks to veterans no matter how long they have served. I know this electioneering. But I am with McCain on this one. I think length of service should determine what kind of perks one receives. Somebody who gives 20 years of his/her life to government service should receive more benefits than someone who has just given 2 years.

No comments: