Thursday, July 14, 2005

IRAQI RELIGIOUS DIVISIONS

Iraq has a Shiite majority and a Sunni minority. Saddam terrorized the Shiites and hundreds of thousands of Shiites were killed. Since the American led effort to topple Saddam, except for a few exceptions, the Shiites have been a major force in the efforts to democratize Iraq. However, I am sure they bear much resentment and animosity against their Sunni brethren--much of which has been played down. For some time I have been wondering how long the Shiite majority will put up with terrorist bombings that many feel largely come from Sunni Islamic terrorists. The July 13th issue of The New York Times carried an article "10 Sunnis Suffocate in Iraqi Police Custody." I am not optimistic for the future. The only thing that may be preventing payback is the presence of American troops and the international focus on Iraq. If I were an Iraqi Sunni, I would be very nervous.

No comments: